Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oatmeal, Cinnamon Apple. Pumpkin.

What I did was take a simple Oatmeal cookie recipe & then tweaked it to make the other two batches of cookies. They all have oatmeal in them, just with some added twists.  

Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup margarine
 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
3 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Instead of vegetable oil, I used extra virgin olive oil because that's what I had on hand that was organic. Cookies turned out fantastic.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Sift together your flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, & salt in a small bowl. Set aside

Cream together your margarine, oil, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla until smooth.I microwaved my margarine for 10 seconds first.

Beat in eggs, one at a time. Then gradually mix in your sifted dry ingredients. Once your wet & dry are mixed well, stir in your oats. Mix well.

Spoon onto cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes & let cool on wire rack. Mine were done around 9 minutes.



To adjust this recipe to make pumpkin cookies, change the following:
While creaming together your margarine, oil, brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla, add 1/2- 1 cup pumpkin. (I added half a can)

Also add 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg to your sifted dry ingredients & an extra 1/2 cup flour. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hr before baking.   

 

To adjust this recipe to make apple cinnamon cookies, change the following:
After creaming together your ingredients, and before adding oats. Mix in 1-1 1/2 cups of chopped/peeled apple ( I used small organic Gala apples & ended up using 1 1/2 apples, chopped)

**To make these even yummier, add in 1 cup of cinnamon chips after adding apples and before adding oats**

Up your cinnamon from 1/2 tsp to 2-3 tbsp, and also add in 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg with dry sifted ingredients.

I also refrigerated this dough, but there is no need. This come out a bit darker because of the cinnamon, so make sure to check that they are really done before taking them out. I lightly touch the top to make sure they aren't too soft.



These ALL came out fantastic. The kids prefer the plain oatmeal, while Jimmy prefers the apple cinnamon, and my favorite by far is the pumpkin. I added a lot of pumpkin and they came out so fluffy and delicious!


All the organic ingredients I got to use for cooking this weekend, with the exception of my homegrown organic tomatoes, bananas, and vegetables I used in my soup. I made these cookies, Pico De Gallo, Banana bread, & Chicken soup.


My Pico De Gallo came out amazing. Jimmy and I devoured it in under an hour. With our organic tortilla chips, of course! (look for them at Costco, BEST tortilla chips I've ever had. They taste homemade!)






1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious!! Your making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete