Our second garden was sort of a 'well we have extra seeds, lets just plant them' kind of thing. We planted mid-summer so we didn't know if we would get any harvest from it. Luckily for us, this year has been an odd one in terms of weather and temperatures. To our surprise, our second garden is in full bloom & getting ready for us to harvest! We have carrots, heirloom tomatoes, potatoes, and string beans. These plants will continue to provide for us until our fall garden is in bloom! God has been good to the Parker's this year.
These are my string beans! The two things my kids will eat everyday is tomatoes & fresh green beans. & all those little flowers are about to turn into even more green beans for us to enjoy!
These are my pride & joy. My magnificent heirloom tomatoes. I already harvest from 4 plants in my earlier garden, and this plant has taken off in the last 3 weeks & started producing ton's of fruit! We have one that is ready to harvest any day...the rest are not far behind!
I let the kids go out and pick with me, they love it. Although Lukas ends up taking bites out of everything we hand him, he still gets in on the action. It's fun to share that with them, and I hope this is something we can do every year with our kids. This year was our first endeavor, and I have really enjoyed it. Jimmy is teaching me a lot about gardening, & I am trying hard not to kill every plant I touch! I did a lot more hands on work with our Fall garden, so I'm excited to see how my new found 'skills' will pay off. We are going to be investing in a compost barrel this year, and I am totally thrilled about that!
Jimmy grew up always around his grandmother, who is a true green thumb. She took a large part in raising him, and passed on to him everything she knew. She has an acre or so garden that is always in bloom, always producing, every season. Jimmy has always enjoyed that, as it's been a part of his upbringing. So gardening for him, especially with the kids, is extra special. To be able to share this with all of us is such a gift. It brings a sense of something I know his heart misses, and I am so thankful that we can give that to him.
Growing a garden takes patience, and that, I will admit, is not a strong suite of mine. I have enjoyed so much walking into my backyard and picking vegetables for dinner. What an incredible blessing to be able to grow, organic, just 5 feet from where I cook dinner! We are so blessed, & good things come to those who wait!
& since I don't know how much I'll be able to get up this weekend [& because I love to show off my kids], some pictures from the week. Enjoy!
Lukas & his dishwasher fascination..
Snuggling with mom's Ally Zabba..
Checking out his sister's baby doll...
Fluff butt...he love's my AZ, guess I'm gonna need to get him his own [in blue]
Chowing down on a grilled cheese...
Conquering a popsicle...
Y'all have a good weekend. Mine is going to be extra busy! Don't forget to leave some love so I know who's reading. ;)

my mom is totally the green thumb and hasm multiples gardens too! i hope i can be like that someday considering my other sister kills any plant that comes near her haha. awesome gardens! :)
ReplyDelete~kathleen
Totally jealous! You've inspired me to get a few planters for my deck next year (space doesn't come freely in downtown Vancouver!) and grow some things. Awesome job momma!
ReplyDeleteBrittany
Your garden looks awsome!! I always wanted one! Those green beans look delicious. I never like the ones in a can, so I always buy fresh, but growing your own is even better!! Maybe this next spring we shall try it!
ReplyDeleteCorina--you guys can totally do it! You have the perfect backyard. One weekend have Richie & Doods make some planter boxes & then plant with the kids. I know Jazz & Doods would do great at taking care of a garden!
ReplyDeleteGirl,what a planter box and should I plant now or wait for spring? I know they will have so much fun doing it. I just hope I don't kill my plants and I can keep the squirrles away!!
ReplyDeleteyou can plant a fall garden now, I think its still warm enough over there. google. you can find things that thrive in the fall/winter, just pick if those are things you want to grow. I think all the fun stuff comes in spring. Its up to you! There's got to be something you can do to keep the squirrels away...let Richie get a bee-bee gun? lol!
ReplyDeleteAw, your family is so cute and I am so impressed with your garden. I try so hard to plant veggies but they all die on us or dont even grow. It would be nice to have a garden like yours especially because we are vegetarians and organic veggies can be expensive. =( Great job though!! And I love Lukas's fluffy bum!!
ReplyDeleteOh yea, I forgot to ask. How do you like those Ally Zabba's? I have been wanting to get one of those or the mega zabbas, but i dont want to spend the money if they aren't that good. They look sooo soft.
ReplyDeleteWe love our AllyZabba's. Lukas has a medium sized one & so does Lexi, and the pink camo is mine (mega). Im going to get another mega for the boys, since Lukas and Jimmy always still mine. I got all mine discounted though, I would never pay full price. If you're looking for a blanket for your little guy, I would highly recommend a Aiden and Anais Dream Blanket or the AZ. A&A is my all time favorite. Lukas is extremely attached to his & since its so big, I don't have to put any other blankets in his crib. http://www.adenandanais.com/shop/blankets.aspx
ReplyDeleteshould read *over the AZ
ReplyDelete