Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Doing the dishes...

Today while doing the dishes, I turned and noticed a precious little boy, sitting in awe. Lukas was watching me put each dish away and taking note it seemed, so carefully, as if he were about to take the task on himself. It amazes me still, to watch him. You can see in those eyes that he is taking in so much information and trying to process it in a way he can understand. What a simple little life.

I started to grin, in awe of him and his pure innocence. Watching him watch me brought such an overwhelming sense of gratification. It's little things like that, little moments that tend to happen everyday, that you remember forever. I find that quite amusing myself, because through each day there are always hurdles to get through, being a mom. You deal with the household chores, the dirty diapers, the tantrums, the attempted naps. I know some days, when I get caught in that whirl wind of chaos, I imagine those hard times being what I would remember.

Instead, I find myself placing this 4 minutes of emptying the dishwasher into my memory bank, safe, where I know it will stay forever. Watching that little man chewing on a piece of crust, drooling, and looking up at me in awe of the dishes being unloaded. Seeing the captivation in his eyes, and the wonder that is a one year old. May he never lose his innocence and may his curiosity for the little things never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment