Monday, July 11, 2011

Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, Germany...Alaska?

I wish my excitement could jump through the screen at y'all! Don't get me wrong, I have my apprehensions, but mostly I'm totally excited for this adventure we have in front of us.

For those of you who don't know, we are moving to Alaska in January. Jimmy will be stationed with 4/25 at Ft Richardson, which is in the Anchorage area. (We were also offered Ft Wainwright but declined) We will most likely be living in Eagle River or Wasilla if we don't end up living on post. We report in January and will be stationed there for the rest of our (new) contract with the Army, which will be a little over three years. So, yes, that means we have decided not to get out in March when our ETS date is; we are (yet again) re-enlisting.

Obviously, if you follow my blog, you know that this wasn't even a possibility. It definitely was nothing we were considering or thinking about, let alone for another four years.

For the last year, the Army has been pressing Jimmy hard to re-enlist. Every few months he'd get a phone call from the Sgt Major or emails from retention offering something and asking him to re-up. It's very safe to say that we never even batted an eye. We were getting out, and that was that. Then for the last 6 months they have been offering him lavish deals, all kinds of special things if he would re-enlist. College, Ranger school, SERE school, stability, bonuses; you name it--they were throwing it out there in hopes of catching some sort of interest. It quickly became a joking matter. Jimmy would come home & we would laugh about the 'new-awesome thing' they offered him that week.

Our minds were made up. It was as simple as that.

I made a joke one time & said "You tell Sgt Major that unless they are going to send us to HAWAII and pay off our SUV, they can shove it'. Well...that backfired. Lol.

Two weeks later we were offered Hawaii & a bonus--nothing substantial enough to pay off my car; but bonuses are unheard of right now-so it was definitely something we both said 'really??' to. Not to mention...Hawaii, I mean COME ON. Who wouldn't LOVE to go to Hawaii on the governments dime. Jimmy has never been, but Ive been privileged enough to visit twice. Although I definitely wouldn't ever consider making it a permanent home, living there for a few years would be an incredible experience--especially for the kids.

Without even knowing that we were actually discussing the possibility of re-enlisting, we started talking about Hawaii. What unit he would go to, what he would be doing, where we'd be living, etc. I quickly emailed my friends stationed there now with slews of questions I was just too curious not to ask.

This went on for a few days. Jimmy started asking more questions to our retention officer about the unit & duty assignment; so word quickly got around that he was considering it. Finally we looked at each other & said "are we really considering this?", which of course ensued a huge conversation. Truth is, we both were considering it. Whether we were saying 're-enlisting' out loud or not, we were both thinking it.

The more information we acquired the more enticing it began to sound. What amazing things we could show the kids, what opportunities we would have to explore such a beautiful part of the country, the culture there, etc. So the words finally came out, Jimmy told his retention officer that we were highly considering Hawaii. Then came the prayer and heavy thinking. I knew if we were going to decide to 'stay in', it HAD to be for the right reasons. This couldn't be a decision based off of what Jimmy or I wanted, but what was going to be best for the kids; for their present and their future. We had to make the decision based upon what would allow us a more opportune future, for our family, and for Jimmy's career.

It didn't take long for the answer to quickly come. If a move to Hawaii was in our future, it wasn't going to be for the right reasons. The more we set our 'wants' aside and put our 'needs' ahead; Hawaii just went down the drain. It was a hard thing (& easy at the same time) to do, but after a few weeks of deliberating we finally let them have a definite 'no'.


Now, I don't know what happened. If the fact that they 'almost got him' sparked a flame or what. Ever since we turned down Hawaii we had new offers every other day. We turned down Arizona, Florida, Italy, Germany, Tennessee, Georgia, and (happily) North Carolina. All (in what seemed like) a period of two weeks. After a few weeks our retention officer (who also happens to be a good friend that was deployed with Jimmy to Afghan) called us at home on Jimmy's day off. He said that the Sgt Major was pressing him hard to get Jimmy to re-enlist, and to tell us "where do you want to go, and what do you want in your contract?".

I suppose they assumed we were playing the waiting game; knowing our time to ETS was soon approaching and eventually they'd offer us something outstanding. I suppose now, looking back, that worked in our favor. Although, we were not playing any such game. We just really had our minds made up that we were getting out, and so we kept saying 'no'.

Jimmy & I talked about it and decided to do some research. After all, if they were offering him (pretty much) whatever he wanted in his contract, we could really pull some great things for him-career wise. We knew our retention officer, so we knew we weren't going to get screwed in the deal. Really, what harm was there in asking for what we wanted (or more), if they said no then we'd still get out, and if they said yes....

So, super long story short. We got everything (plus a bonus that we did not ask for), including stability and a report date that was a few months after the baby comes (since they wanted him to leave in 2 months). This way we could still have our home birth, adjust to going from 4 to 5, and spend the holidays with our family. Honestly; Jimmy and I were dumbfounded when they called back less then 24 hrs later with all of this. We honestly did NOT think that we would be offered half of what we asked for. We told them that we still needed time to think about it.

So we prayed, and prayed, and prayed some more. I did more and more research. Thankfully I have a friend who was stationed there before and she was able to be a wealth of knowledge about the ins and outs. They (I swear) were calling us almost everyday asking if we had an answer. They'd call us at home and leave messages, they'd call Jimmy at the syscon; it was ridiculous. We both weren't worried about pressing ourselves for a decision.

So obviously, we said yes. After about 2 weeks of deliberating and prayer; we were both (shockingly) ecstatic to say yes.

I wont go into details here on my blog, but the amount of doors that were just opened for us are amazing. I am (for the first time) thrilled about moving my family. I am happy with Jimmy's unit, what he will be doing, and where he will be doing it at. There is a possibility he will deploy, but we know he'll be doing his job, in a much safer environment then last time. They were pressing us hard to get attached to a Special Forces unit, and that was honestly out of the question for me.

I've stated several times on my blog, that we know California is not the place for us. It is not the place we want to raise our children. We love it here, and our family is here; we'll always be back, but God has put it heavy on our hearts for some time now to leave, and we knew, regardless of what Jimmy was going to be doing, that staying here was not an option. 

Alaska is one of the top non-vaccinating states in America, and the state in general is highly conservative. Their gun-laws...well, all I will say about that is we are totally psyched. :) I am pleased with what I found regarding the education there, even if sending the kids to a private school is going to cost us an arm and a leg (and a kidney?). They have several charter schools and public pre-schools with great reputations as well, and the community seems to be extremely in tune with raising up a child properly.

I've already explored our option as far as organics go (yes, that's how much of a planner I am), and am thrilled with the variety of fresh seafood we'll have at hand. We have heard and read nothing but good about the state and what it has to offer. I know that this will be a great experience, not only for us, but for the kids. Jimmy loves to hike, fish, hunt, backpack, camp, etc. & our daughter follows right in those footsteps. I believe this will be the first duty station where Jimmy is content with his surroundings. His number 1 complaint throughout the years has been heat and humidity--I don't imagine he'll be able to use that one anymore.

Now I wont lie, shoveling my driveway, snow storms, and a good investment in some North Face gear doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I hate to be cold, which is really an understatement; but I'm ready and willing to take this on. We've lived in California all our lives, both of us grew up here, and the past 2 years we were privileged enough to be assigned here. We've lived in North Carolina, we visited Myrtle beach every weekend, we made family vacations there. We've done the beach, the desert, the mountains, the warm and cold oceans, the palm trees, etc. I think life should be lived by experience, and this is going to be a change that I welcome.

That doesnt mean you wont find me complaining when it's below 40 outside, snowing, and Im loading three kids into the car... I will. Haha.

Nevertheless, I'm excited. I will go well equipped with cold weather gear from head to toe, but I'm excited :) We will (yet again) be a good distance from family, but not nearly as far as we have been in the past. I hope they will all be able to come and visit often, and share in this very unique experience with us. ( BTW; no one is more excited about this move then my little brother, Stephen. Who practically begged us to re-enlist when he heard that we were considering Alaska. I'm sure he'll persuade my parents to send him out there on numerous occasions. Hey buddy--be ready to shovel some snow ;)

Our last PCS also happened to land right after a new addition arrived. Lukas was only 4 months old when we made the long trek from GA to CA in November of '09. Although I'm quite aware that 3 is more than 2, I'm not too daunted with the thought of making a move with a wee one. Baby boy will be aprox 3 months old when we move--I know; just saying it out loud sounds insane.

As far as baby boy news goes, we're chuggin' along. I can definitely see a significant growth in the last couple of weeks and I can easily assume that 'uncomfortably large' will be here in 4-6 weeks.

As for now though, I feel great. I've only gained about 4-5 lbs (probably more like 6-8 now) and he is moving ALL the time. I am sleeping wonderfully, I have managed to continue to keep my restless leg syndrome and insomnia that usually accompanies my pregnancies at bay. I am eating well and I can definitely feel the difference compared with my last two pregnancies. Right now I am seeing my midwife/midwives every 3 weeks, and our Bradley birthing classes start next month (insert jaw drop-shock here). I can't believe how fast time is going by. It seemed to drag on in the beginning, but it's fair to say that my ridiculous morning sickness may have played a huge role in that. Having Lexi on summer break and attempting to potty train the most stubborn boy in the world are definitely keeping me busy.

I know that November is going to creep up on us so fast. Unlike my last two, I have yet to buy anything yet for this baby. Well, except for a few cloth diapers--but who can help buying fluff? I plan to have my baby shower sometime after August. I was originally thinking in October, when we visit family for Halloween, but I didn't realize that is 2 weeks before my due date and that may be pushing it a bit. I have to talk to the kids god-mom and see what her thoughts are--super excited that she is planning this one for me, that she volunteered to, and that she is thrilled about it. Seriously, no one has a better god-mom then my kids. Elyse Vanberg, I effing love your guts.

& yes...to clarify: we did think we were having twins, or our midwife thought I should say. Unless some act of God (which I am not putting past Him) happens, there is only one in there. & we cannot wait to meet him :)

So, that's just about it. It seems like we've been having a lot of big news lately. Although it feels like this is always how it goes with us, a ton of things always happen at the same time. I'm just glad it's all good things :)

1 comment: