Sunday, June 12, 2011

Why I chose a home-birth

After I posted an article last week about home birthing, I got a lot of 'are you doing a home-birth?!'. From text messages, to pm's...everyone wanted to know. Which is great! I know half of you think I'm insane, but maybe the other half are actually interested in why I chose this path. Yes; this crazy, crunchy, cloth-diapering,  organic fanatic-who doesn't vaccinate her kids is also going to (gasp) birth at home [of all places!]


I have an EXCELLENT midwife, who I am absolutely in love with. She has delivered over 600 babies in her career as a midwife & birthed all three of her own children at home. I also have another midwife; who is acting as her 'assistant', we'll say. & a midwife in training; who also happens to be my birthing coach & Bradley instructor! They are a great group of knowledgeable women that we are blessed to have as a part of our lives on this journey with baby #3.

So here are the answers to the questions you're all asking:

Didn't you already have a cesarean section?: Yes, two actually. They were both non-emergent. Lexi was breech & Lukas had to be a c-section due to my gallbladder needing to be removed. Both of my surgeries involved transverse incisions & I had no complications with either.


But you can't have a 'VBAC' after 2 cesareans, can you?: Most doctor's won't let you try for a vaginal birth after 2 c's. Hell, MOST doctors wont REALLY let you try for a VBAC after 1 c section. Most women have to fight with their practitioners. However; that doesn't mean you can't. That just means that doctors don't WANT to. Why? Well, they're afraid. Most doctors are afraid of you being the 1% who will suffer a uterine rupture during labor. This would force serious focus on the dr's decision making, and could interfere with his ability to be insured. In a nutshell: they are covering their own ass. Understandable--but not for me.

Can anyone have a home birth?: Negative. You must meet certain criteria. Each midwife is equipped with a checklist involving a slew of questions that she MUST ask you before you are eligible to be a candidate for home-birth. Not only that; but all medical records from prior pregnancies must be handed over to your midwife, which she will review & submit; also as criteria for your eligibility.

____________________________________________________________




I started researching midwives when I was pregnant with Lukas. I am (as you all know) not a fan of the medical society in general, and I was looking for something different. I wanted to be treated like a human being; not a number. Not another pregnant woman. I wanted to see the SAME person EVERY time I went for an appointment. I wanted more for me & my baby. This is how I stumbled upon the home-birth movement.


Unfortunately; with Lukas, I ended up being diagnosed with gallbladder disease pre-term & since my gallbladder needed to be removed; Lukas was taken out as well. [I am now in a law-suit with YAZ -- which is what my doctor's think caused my gallbladder disease; fun stuff]


This time around, Jimmy & I both knew before we even got pregnant; this is what we were going to do. I found my midwife before we even started TTC! Call me a planner, call me a control-freak, or call me dead set on not being subjected to medical intervention again that involves half my body being sliced open. Whichever way you choose you'd be correct!


Obviously if my or the baby's life is in jeopardy, I'm not going to handcuff myself to the bed rail and refuse to leave my house. I'll be the first one to hop in the car & head straight for the ER. Slice me open! The whole point of choosing to labor & birth at home is in the best interest of my health, and my son's health. If that is ever even thought to be in danger; we're out-a here.


Did you know that the c-section rate in the United States today is over 32%! & In California; where I will deliver my son (& where Lexi was born) the c-section rate is an astounding 47%! That is insane! Especially when you consider that the World Health Organization clearly states that the cesarean section rate should NOT be higher then 10-15% There's something your doctor won't mention to you!




I'm not sick, right? I'm just pregnant. Sick people go to hospitals. So, unless something goes wrong, or I'm in need of medical assistance that my midwife cannot provide, why do I need to birth in a hospital? Women have been birthing babies since Adam & Eve. This is a natural process. It's supposed to be painful, it's supposed to be tedious, but; is it supposed to happen in a hospital? Hospitals are filled with bacteria, germs from the sick & dying that occupy it, chemicals GALORE, and medical intervention everywhere you turn. Pitocin, IV drugs, epidurals, forceps, vacuum, and the obvious; c-section.


Of course I'm not implying that these medical interventions are all harmful. They can be lifesaving! & hey, if you don't want to feel pain, that's totally your decision. Trust me; I don't want to! I have just made the decision to opt out of pain killers, because for me; that's what's best. My midwife ALWAYS carries pitocin on her. It is never used for starting labor or increasing contractions though; it is used in the event that a post-partum hemorrhage occurs, in a situation where the uterus is not contracting itself AFTER birth.


My house is a clean, sterile environment. & it's not clean from harsh chemical toxins. We use steam & natural cleaners. I control this environment. I know what's here, what's been here, & what hasn't.



I won't be constricted by an IV during labor. (woo-hoo) I'm going to walk around my house, take a shower, whatever I want! I'm not going to be in a hospital gown with my ass hanging out that's been worn by a hundred women before me that wreaks of 'old people'. I'm going to wear (or not wear) whatever the hell I feel like! [this is my FAVorite one] I'M GOING TO EAT, PEOPLE! If I want to down some lemonade or scarf on a sandwich; no one is going to tell me I can't.


Birth on my back? I don't think so! As that has been PROVEN to be the most ineffective position to birth a child, and is only commonly practiced in (you guessed it) America. I'm going to birth however feels comfortable to me. I'm going to lay, or sit, or stand, wherever and however I want to. I'm going to move through the pain and find a position that hurts me less, that allows the baby an easier birthing process. NOT laid out on a hospital bed with people holding my legs back & yelling 'harder, harder, push harder!'. I'll push when I want to push, damnit!


I plan to birth in a birthing pool. Yes, doesn't that sound fabulous! We'll see if I actually end up giving birth in the water, but I am definitely using it as much as I can during labor. I am not writing anything in stone, what happens that day will happen however it's meant to. & as much as I am a total control freak; that sounds damn splendid to me.


We don't vaccinate, so there is no need for the baby to be at a hospital for that. We don't do silver nitrate on the eyes at birth, and we don't do vitamin K injections. My midwife will perform (& is certified to perform) all newborn tests/screenings, she even does the birth certificate. Yep, right here...on my couch, in our bed...wherever! Go ahead and say it; AWESOME!


As long as no complications arise, this birth is all mine. The midwives will be here to 'assist'; because really, who else can birth but a woman? She/they will tend to baby & myself after delivery; but the birth, the birth is MINE. That's something empowering, as a woman, that I look forward to, & not only that; it's something no one will be able to take away from me. I want that, & not just for myself, but for my son! I am taking this birth into my hands & accepting full responsibility for the fact that their won't be an OBGYN between my legs the entire time.


Want to hear something totally amazing? Okay, I'll tell you... No doctor is going to 'deliver' our son. Nope. No midwife will get to say "oh, I delivered Tearah's baby'. That honor, I gladly & proudly hand over to my husband. Yep. He's going to be a certifiable baby catcher. After all; the man needs to take SOME part in birthing this kid -- I'll do all the hard work, he can do the fun stuff.


No, in all seriousness. I'm even more in love with him just thinking about it. I can't wait to 'give' that experience to him. I can't wait to see our son be brought into this world by the hands of his father, the man I so love with all my heart. He knows; no one can take that away from him either. Forever he'll be able to tell our son, 'I delivered you'. 'My hands were the first to hold you', I can't think of anything more special.


& after? After I give birth I wont have my baby rushed from me, I wont wait for him to have his first bath in the nursery to be returned to me. I'll hold him, breastfeed, and sit in awe until I'm ready to move. Then I'll take a shower in (gasp) my own bathroom, and crawl into my own bed; one that's big enough for my husband to crawl in with me, and we'll gaze at our son. My kids will crawl in bed with us & meet their baby brother, my mom will bring me a big bowl of beef stew (yeah mom, that's the plan--jot that down), & the day will go on.


My midwives will stay for 4-6 hours to monitor myself & baby; & then they will....leave : )


No waiting to be discharged, no visiting hours, no...hospital food! The next day; and everyday after that for a week, my midwife will come & do an hour or so checkup. She'll help with breastfeeding, make sure I'm healing properly, check baby's weight, etc. Then twice a week, every week, for SIX weeks after that; she'll do the same. Seriously; does your doctor do that? & I don't have to put makeup on, find something to wear, pack the diaper bag & load three kids in the car. She comes to muah!


I plan to bake the baby a birthday cake while I'm in labor. Don't quote me on that; we'll see what happens, but that's what I have planned out in my head. I know my kids, my husband, my mom, & hopefully my baby sister will be here to experience and share in this with me. I also plan to blog about the birth before I lay my head that day; now definitely don't quote me on that either. I just know I want to get every detail down; for myself, before all the little things start being forgotten.


Since I first watched Lexi shake lifelessly from a seizure, it has been my biggest passion to give my kids the healthiest life I can; based on what I know. I won't say I know everything, I won't even say I know a lot. I will say, I know way more now then I did 4 years ago when I first became a mom. I may be a lot of things, but I'll always be a mom first; & these kids, they're my number 1 priority everyday.



I am petrified of the pain. I foresee myself breaking down, threatening someones life, and begging for drugs; but I know I can do it, & I will kick this birth's ass! I know this is what's best for my baby; so if I've gotta scream and threaten lives for a few hours, let's do it. If I've got to carry this kid for 41 or 42 weeks instead of being induced or cut open at 38 weeks...I'm down. Dude; I'm totally going to complain, but I'm game. He will come on his time, not mine, not anyone's but his and God's.


That being said, this decision was made (as always) after Jimmy and I both researched and, prayed. I am confident, convinced, excited, and everything else you could imagine. I am blessed with a supportive, gung-ho, 'woo-hoo let's water birth this baby' husband. I have no doubts about his capability to get me through this, and that truly takes a ton of weight off my back. Thanks hun, you rock.

So that's it, summed up. I'm sure I left out a million things, but I'm looking forward to posting my birth story and everyone really understanding then. I thought about possibly not letting anyone in on the little secret, but this is nothing we're ashamed of in the least bit. True, many people still question the choice and raise an eyebrow; but that's never stopped me from doing anything. I don't plan to start pleasing people now ;)

1 comment:

  1. this gave me goosebumps. YOU EFFIN ROCK! dont know what else there is to say but that ha. no really u have such a way with your words i pretty much visualized every part of your plan. you are a living, breathing, earthbound walking superwoman! you can do this; i did two with no pain killers; & once all is said and done u dont really remember it anyways.........ahhh i cant wait for his debut to come & hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete