Monday, April 2, 2012

Update

So, little update for now.

We are STILL stuck in stupid (stupid, stupid!) Army lodging. When we first arrived we had planned to check out on-post housing and most likely rent off-post. Well, after being here for about a week, we decided to look seriously into buying. We fell in love with the area and financially, it just made more sense to buy.

We hooked up with an absolutely amazing realtor and when Jimmy took his 10 day leave, we began our search. We looked at tons of homes, all over the Palmer/Wasilla area, some days we would jam as many houses in as we could and spend 8 hrs looking at potential new homes.

By week 2, we had narrowed it down to 2 homes. One that was Jimmy's favorite and one that was mine. We kept looking in hopes of finding a tie breaker, but it wasn't out there.

So, while we were still looking we both decided that my favorite house was the best choice for our family and what we really wanted in the long run (of course ;) Very long story short, we close in just over 3 weeks and we couldn't be more excited about it. I have not had my own space since January, and we are all starting to go a little crazy being in lodging for so long. 

Joining his unit, Jimmy immediately got put in charge of 13 (which is now 17) soldiers. He is very good at 'leading the herd' if you will, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying his job so far. Which is really such a blessing because he is on RearD right now, as his unit is deployed. Usually on RearD you either hate your job or you're just preparing to deploying with the rest of them...neither of those situations have crossed our path yet so we are very grateful.

Our house is up in Wasilla (yes, where Mrs. Palin lives), which is, give or take, a good 45 minute drive  from post. The drive in the winter time will probably be more like an hour plus. We really did not care for Anchorage, which is right outside of post. It's very much like any big city, lots of apartments, businesses, big buildings, traffic, crime, homeless, etc. We knew that's not what we came to Alaska for, nor what we wanted the kids around. 

We also like to keep our Army life and home life separate. From years of experience, it's a more healthy home life that way (not to mention, FAR less drama) The Army isn't our life, it's just my husband's job, our family does not need to be surrounded by all things military 24/7. I know some prefer it that way, and that's fine, its all about personal preference, and we just prefer to pretend we're civilians when  the uniform comes off :)

We are planning on riding out the rest of Jimmy's military service here in Alaska. Once he's out we plan to stay and start up our own business. Meanwhile, I'll be taking some classes at home to begin my work towards becoming an herbalist and possibly (in the distant future) a naturopath. Once Eli is done nursing, I'll be taking some classes at the college when I can to speed things up and do some hands on work. 

(I realize this is more like long bullets then once of my usual blogs, so please, bare with me)

Jimmy is going on a bear hunting trip in late spring, and I am excited for him to bring back some 'fun stuff' from that! He is so excited he can't stand it. Something about a man hunting a bear, I think it's one of those things that all guys want to at least attempt to do in their lives. He'll be going with some other NCO's that he works with and they are making a bit of a camping trip of it, I know he's going to have a great time.

Lexi celebrated her 5th birthday in Alaska (& in lodging), we made the best of it and she had a blast. We spoiled her all weekend long, and she is STILL getting gifts in the mail from family. I cannot believe she is 5...

Lukas loves the snow, and now with it melting and becoming slush, we have a serious mess maker on our hands. He finds it all ever so fascinating. My biggest obstacle? Trying to get him NOT to eat brown snow/icicles. The snow around here gets SO dirty near roadways and parking lots, does it bother my son? Not a bit! In fact, he find the brown snow more interesting then the beautiful, pure, untouched, clean, WHITE snow! UGH. Boys, I tell you, boys!

Eli is a teething fool! He is drooling all over the place and a big cranky butt the last month or so. We are living on camilia and amber bracelets. He is rolling over, front to back and back to front, and recently has been trying to scoot! Heaven help us! I already know, he is going to be a mover!

We had no plans for Easter this weekend, and I was determined not to spend it in lodging. So I planned out a little family vacation for us to Seward! It will be our first time really exploring and we're all excited. We're staying in a cute little hotel with and indoor pool and spa so the kids can let loose and have a blast during all our down time. We're taking them to the sea life center to check out all of the Alaskan wild life that the ocean has to offer and then going on a whale watching tour! Very exciting :)

Love to all! I'll be sending out our new address as soon as we get in to the house, April 27!

No comments:

Post a Comment