Monday, December 13, 2010

Home for the Holidays

Thanksgiving has come and gone. Mine was quite a success, I'll admit. I did 95% of the cooking and the dinner went off without a hitch. I made a completely new dish that I did not try out beforehand, yams. Or for those of you with roots where my husbands lie, sweet potatoes! FABULOUS. I will share the recipe for those that want to attempt this for Christmas. Super easy & absolutely delicious. I even ate them and I am NOT a fan of Yams.

Christmas is almost upon us, we have what? Twelve days left! Are you ready? I am, just about. Started my Christmas shopping in June this year, so I have just a few more things on my list. My family is doing Christmas at my house this year (a first!), so I have to prepare and plan yet another big meal. We did turkey for thanksgiving so I am going to fix up a ham for Christmas. By the way, I just want to take a minute to thank my mom. She brought the turkey up for Thanksgiving, and, she went on a mission to find me a never frozen, organic, all natural, free-range turkey! Gotta love her. Thanks mom.

So for Christmas this year we went crazy! My husband and I went out to find the biggest tree we could fit by our fireplace. I am blessed with vaulted ceilings in my home and just happen to have 14ft tops where my fireplace lies, just outside my living room. So, after much looking, we trucked home a 13.5ft douglas fir! Took us 2 hours to set up & try to get straight, and even longer to string lights & decorate...but so worth it. It's beautiful. Such a great escape to just sit and stare at in the dark for a few minutes. Those tiny twinkling lights offer so much joy at this time of year.

What did I ask for this year? Baking supplies of course! I asked for a KitchenAid Mixer and some more glass bake-ware, like Pyrex! I know I am getting a custom apron, since my husband asked me to pick out a pattern a few months back. I am very excited! My husband and I usually wait until after Christmas to do our big shopping for each other. It's easier that way and then we don't have to worry about skimping on each others gifts to try and fit everything in our budget for the kids, family, etc. for Christmas time. So, tax return season is our Christmas, and we really enjoy it that way. This year I'm getting Jimmy a press he's been eying for the last couple of months. He says it will 'complete' his loading station, so I hope he's as stoked as I am to get it for him.

Then we have new years! That was supposed to be at my house too! it just changed to my mom's, so that will be a nice change of scenery for us. We'll be headed down to good 'ole F-town to celebrate 2011, and one year closer to getting Obama out of office ;) Every year on New Years eve, when the ball drops and it hits midnight, my family has a HUGE silly string fight. Yes, inside the house. This has become tradition for us and we've been doing it since I can remember. People get crazy, and competitive. You don't come unarmed, and that requires at least 4-6 cans a person. Those who have been blessed enough to join a Lemos' New Year has seen the wrath that is coming unprepared! & trust me, they never come unprepared again! It is an insane all out sill string fight that never fails to disappoint.

New Years eve is even more special for me, because that happens to be when my husband proposed...5 years ago this year! Mid silly-string fight he falls to his knees as I'm drenching him in yellow and blue. I reach down to help him up, since I thought Id made him slip. Took me a minute to realize he hadn't fell, he was kneeling. & then a gorgeous diamond ring was busted out, along with a heavy stream of tears from myself. The rest is history!

Then, my baby bug will be an official preschooler. She starts as soon as we get back from our New Years extravaganza at my parents house. I am definitely not mentally prepared to have her gone yet, but I know she is WAY ready and this is going to be so great for her. I spent most of the beginning of this year searching for preschools for her. I must of seen of over 10, and I just wasn't happy with what I was finding. I did find one that I was happy with, but it was a co-op. & with Jimmy's schedule and having Lukas, it just wouldn't have been possible. So Jimmy and I did a lot of praying about it, and this school just dropped in our laps.

We were trying to take Lexi to a new park we had heard about around town, and got lost on the way. In the process of finding our way, we drove past a church, which I saw had a school attached to it. I jotted down the name and then looked it up when I got home. I loved their mission statement, & when I called and talked to the principal of the preschool I was so impressed. I had my mom check it out as well, since she has been teaching since I was in preschool, Id say her opinion is key! It got cleared by the boss and so we set up a meeting to go sit in on some of the class. So, I am thrilled with our decision and I know God has lead us in the right direction for Lexi. I am absolutely thrilled for her that she gets to open up this new adventure in her life.

Then in March, my bug is turning 4! We have been planning since June now to take her to Disneyland for her birthday. I took Jimmy for his first time in June, for his birthday. I hadn't been in over 5 years, so when we went, we knew we had to come back with Lexi and share that experience with her. We are all excited! Every time a commercial for Disney comes on Lexi gets so excited and starts telling whoever will listen, that she is going to Disneyland for her birthday. I am getting a room at the Disneyland hotel, and working on getting a character themed room. I know I remember my first trip to Disneyland, and I was about her age, so I'm going to make this as special as I can for her. Lukas will be having some quality time with Nana and Papi while we're in LA with Lex.

For now, my husband is going crazy rigging the house with Christmas lights. He is determined to cover every inch perfectly, until it looks exactly how he has pictured it in his mind. He's driving me a little crazy, but I know the outcome is going to be spectacular and I'm excited to see his finished project. My bows & wreaths are hung, and my baby tree is lighting up my walkway out front. Our stockings were just hung yesterday, and Lexi is so excited to see what happens to be hiding in them come Christmas morning. She cant stop talking about it. I love how excited she is.













No comments:

Post a Comment